On April 4, 2017, voters passed the referendum to remodel the high school
and elementary school, as well as create an athletic addition to our school.
Check back in for more progress updates as construction begins.
- Parking restrictions will occur on Clark St. to allow for
bus pickup/drop-off during the months of March, April, and May.
- High school and administrative offices will be relocated during construction.
Look for signs at the school and information on the website.
- Construction zones will be fenced off to protect students.
- Asbestos Removal beginning March 2018
- Break ground on additions beginning March 2018
- Remodel work to start in June 2018
- Remodel work completed in August 2018
- Final completion September 2018 (expected)
QUESTION NUMBER I
Shall the School District of Thorp, Clark and Taylor Counties, Wisconsin be authorized to issue pursuant to Chapter 67 of the Wisconsin Statutes, general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $4,500,000 for the public purpose of paying the cost of a district-wide school building and improvement program consisting of: renovations and additions for a locker room and a secured entrance; other capital improvement projects; site improvements; and acquisition of furnishings, fixtures and equipment?
- Why Now and Why do These Needs Exist?
- Is the referendum a result of deferred maintenance?
- School District Building Improvement Actions since 2009-10
- How much will it cost? / What is the current mill rate and what will it be with the referendum?
- When would the proposed projects be complete?
- Will local contractors be used?
- Why should I be concerned about these projects?
Although regular maintenance has been done within the school buildings, it’s time for some renovations, repairs and space needs. The district’s current debt payments on the Agriculture/Technical Education addition will be paid in full in 2017. We can address current capital needs now before the existing facilities deteriorate more and while construction costs are low. The existing High School was constructed in 1963 and has served the district well. However, there are significant issues that need repair such as flooring, locker rooms, space needs and others as described in the information above. The existing Elementary School was constructed in 1992 and it needs minor upgrades in finishes that have lasted for over 25 years. These are capital needs that must be addressed immediately and in the near future to avoid more costly repairs/replacements. Capital projects would be addressed and completed in approximately 2 years.
* ACT 32 Energy Efficient upgrades resulting in lower utility costs.
Purchased Chrome books for every student
New elementary roof
New high school lockers and new 5th and 6th grade lockers
Remodeled Ag and Science classrooms and elementary office
High School Multi-Purpose Room received facelift
New bleachers in high school gym
Refinished high school gym floor
New curtain in high school gym
Upgrades to distance learning lab
Added parking to elementary school
Purchased new playground equipment and basketball hoops
New sound system for elementary, high school, and football field
Resealed high school parking lot
Painted several classrooms and hallways
The district has agreed to work with Market & Johnson as Construction Manager on the project. The entire project will be put out to bid in various bid packages to ensure local contractors will get the opportunity to bid. This will keep the bid packages small and allow the district to get the best value for the money spent.